Volunteering at Kagyu Samye Dzong is a great way to get to know the centre better and become a part of a friendly, vibrant community.
Samye Dzong runs on a mixture of volunteers and there are lots of opportunities that can match the skills you have to offer or the time you have available.
There are those who regularly come to the Centre to help out in whatever capacity they can. Then there are the full-time residential volunteers. In exchange for their labour they receive not just bed and board, but all the benefits of being in a Buddhist community and a really cool place to live.
What jobs need doing?
In a building this size there is always something that needs doing and our volunteers do a pretty diverse range of work from managing the office, helping run the tea room, cooking, cleaning, and for those with more specialist skills and/or knowledge, there may be other avenues to explore.
Here are some ways of getting involved:
- DIY/ Building/ Maintenance - We frequently need general workers to help with room set-up and basic repairs.
- Cooking - With a busy kitchen and a bustling Tibetan Tea Room, we are always looking for people with cooking skills and are often looking for somebody to cook once a week or occasionally.
- Tea Room - The tea room is the social heart of the centre and during weekends we are always looking for extra hands to help serve drinks and cakes and help keep the tearomm clean.
- Publicity - Could you help us tell people about our centres and activities? We need help to design and write leaflets and press releases, organise open days and events, take photographs at our activities and make links with other community organisations and local authorities. Anyone with social media and marketing skills would also be very helpful to increase our exposure on Facebook, Instagram, Google Maps and this website.
- Gardening - We are always interested in support from experienced gardeners or gardening groups to help maintain our 'award winning' allotment and to make sure we get the most out of it. We appreicate skills in permaculture and organic gardening that use techniques that focus on the soil, and the importance of ecosytem. If you feel you would be free to give some of your time or to make donations such as compost, please get in touch.
Ways to Volunteer
We have two types of volunteers here at the centre. One type is a Part-time volunteer or a which consists of coming on a regularly weekly basis in the tearoom, reception area and generally keeping the centre clean. The second type of volunteer is a full time residential volunteer who lives at the centre and works five days a week in return for food and lodging.
If you would like to apply for a volunteering role then please use the Contact Us section below which will connect to the office directly.