Volunteering at Kagyu Samye Dzong is a great way to get to know the centre better and become a part of a friendly, vibrant community.
Samye Dzong runs on a mixture of volunteers and there are lots of opportunities that can match the skills you have to offer or the time you have available.
There are those who regularly come to the Centre to help out in whatever capacity they can. Then there are the full-time residential volunteers. In exchange for their labour they receive not just bed and board, but all the benefits of being in a Buddhist community and a really cool place to live.
What jobs need doing?
In a building this size there is always something that needs doing and our volunteers do a pretty diverse range of work from managing the office, helping run the tea room, cooking, cleaning, and for those with more specialist skills and/or knowledge, there may be other avenues to explore.
Here are some ways of getting involved:
- DIY/ Building/ Maintenance - We frequently need general workers to help with room set-up and basic repairs.
- Cooking - With a busy kitchen and a bustling Tibetan Tea Room, we are always looking for people with cooking skills and are often looking for somebody to cook once a week or occasionally.
- Tea Room - The tea room is the social heart of the centre and during weekends it caters for the many participants that attend courses and workshops. This means that we are always looking for extra hands to help serve drinks, prepare and serve food in a very fun and dynamic environment.
- Publicity Group - Could you help us tell people about our centres and activities? We need help to design and write leaflets and press releases, organise open days and events, take photographs at our activities and make links with other community organisations and local authorities. Anyone with social media and marketing skills would also be very helpful to increase our exposure on Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets.
- Gardening - We are looking for an experienced Gardener to volunteer on a weekly basis to help maintain our new allotment and to make sure we get the most out of it. If you feel you would be free to give some of your time regularly once a week to help with this task then please get in touch.
If you would like to volunteer with us please mention where you think you would be of most help and also gives us an idea of what skills you possess.